It’s great to use your full @RealName on social media… but if you have a common name or didn’t hop on the platform right away, it’s not always possible.
Don’t worry. I’ve got your back with this one! 😉
Here are 17 hacks to help you come up with an easy-to-remember (consistent) username...
1. Use part of your name. Ex: @Oprah (Oprah Winfrey)
2. Use your initials. Ex: @SarahKSilverman (Sarah K Silverman)
3. Shorten your name. If your full name is really long, hard to remember or if you’re known by a shorter nickname (like @JLo) then shorten your name.
4. Say what you! Add “actor,” "actress" or “acts” to the end of your username
5. Add ‘Real’ to your username. Ex: @KevinHart4real (Kevin Hart) or @RealGilbert (Gilbert Gottfried)
6. Add 'TV', 'Chat', 'Buzz', or ‘films’ (if you are a creator) to the end of your name. Ex: @ArdaOcalTV
7. Add 'Talks' or 'Says' to your name. Ex: @TheRealAdamSays
8. Add a ‘THE’ in front of your name. Ex: @TheEllenShow (Ellen DeGeneres)
9. Make it 'Official' (only works with shorter names) Ex: @OfficialAdele
10. Add “I am” or “Im” or "Its" Ex: @IAMQUEENLATIFAH (Queen Latifah)
11. Use your location. If you live and work in LA or NYC, add it to the end of your username.
12. Use your website (if you have a short name). This is great because it also directs everyone to your website. Ex: @wordpressdotcom
13. Add a Mr, Miss, Mrs to the beginning of your name. With this hack you can actually just use your first or last name if it’s still available.
14. Get creative & make it funny (if that’s your brand) Ex: @SteveMartinToGo (Steve Martin)
15. Add letters to your name. Ex: @garyvee (Gary Vaynerchuk)
16. Keep them Updated. If your name is short, add a "daily" in front of your name. Ex: @DailyYourname
17. Create a cute Memorable phrase that tells us what you do. Ex: @JenWritesBooks or @SharonOnScreen. This is very similar to the #4 above. It's also super catchy and easy to tell people about in interviews, press, etc.
★SOCIAL ROCKSTAR TIP★: If you're trying to decide between a few choices, keep in mind it’s always best to have your name in the front of the username instead of the end for coming up in search results. Meaning @KimLeeOfficial is better than @OfficialKimLee.
Why? Think about what someone would type into search to find you….your name! So your name being first is always king!
Have fun and let me know in the comments what you come up with!
See you on social!